As you may remember from my last post, I said I was about to
commence the building of the T030a Clyde Puffer from Scalescenes. It was
supposed to be made in the reclaimed space I retrieved in the loft, but this
wasn’t to be. I’ve been at work between
Christmas and New Year, and to say it’s
been quite would be a huge understatement. So, I decided to take the model to
work and build it there.
Unfortunately I’ve not taken any pictures of the build, apart from one, when I
ceremoniously laid the keel. But I’ve taken a few of the boat in all of its glory to show you now that it’s nearly finished. The model comes with
an editable name feature. So it had to be named after my Grandson Jack.
I found the rigging a bit of a fiddle, but that was because
I’ve got sausage
fingers. I even improvised and platted a chain from some fine brown cotton for
the steering chain. I think it worked.
Overall it was a pleasurable build, a one I would highly
Well, next week should be back to normal, and I’ll have to do some work
instead of modelling. Oh well!!!
To finish this post, I would like to wish all that have read
my ramblings, over the last twelve month, heaven knows why, a very happy,
healthy and prosperous 2017. May all your families be safe and healthy, and you
make all the right choices to fulfil your aspirations.
Be safe and have a wonderful 2017.
Happy New Year.
John @ Scalescenes, keep up all of the good work, and here’s looking forward to some
fantastic new kits in the new year.
What a couple of weeks we have had, here in the
Heath household. Not to go into too much detail, we have welcomed our oldest
Daughter and our Grandson back into our home. To say it's been a tight fit,
would be an under statement. Two houses into one, requires a gentle shoe horn.
But fit it we have, and it's now onwards and upwards towards Christmas. My
craft space has been returned to the dining room, and the loft where Wynyard
Lane was taking shape, has had to become storage and a craft room for my wife
Jak, to accommodate her work commitments. The fact that I've had to stop making
my Scalescenes models, has come with a double blow. I've been suffering with lateral
epicondylitis (tennis elbow) to you and me. I don't
know how, as I've never played tennis, but the doctor reckons that it could be
a repetitive stress injury. The only thing that I can imagine that that could
be, would be the cutting out of my models. I must be the only bloke to be disabled
by a piece of damned cardboard. Anyway I've had an injection to relieve the
pain. But I need to rest my arm for a while to let the injury heel its self.
This could have been seen as a perfect opportunity, whilst all of my craft
stuff was packed away to rest and take a break but, I've got itchy fingers. So,
I've reclaimed and cleared a small corner of my layout table, so that I can
gently potter away making a model over the Christmas period.
I think I'm going to have a go at the T030b Clyde Puffer, the latest offering
from Scalescenes. No
doubt I will show you my progress as I go but, it may take a while, what with
Day two of
the T019 Row of Small Cottages from Scalescenes. I got a slow start to the day,
as a guest that was due to be demonstrating, was running late and had to use
the prep room to prepare for her show. I couldn’t exactly ask her to leave, that’s what the room is for, not for me.
Anyway, once she had finished I got set to.
I had all of
the walls and floors ready just to be glued together. Simply just butt the
walls and floors together, matching the coloured walls to each other.
With the addition of a center wall to produce the drainpipe, continue until all the walls are up.
Once all of
the wall are set square, it’s at this point
the upper ceiling is fitted. This cleverly incorporates the guttering along the
ceiling is in place, it not only makes the guttering, it also makes a soffit
over the windows.
tile the roof. The kit comes with either grey slate or an orange pan tile
option. I opted for the grey slate.
boards to finish off the gable end.
And that’s where I managed to get to. There’s not much more to be done, to be
honest, just the chimneys to put in place. If I’d only got a start first thing, I
would of managed to get it complete in the two days.
I've returned to Peterborough again this weekend, to
accompany my wife Jak while she works. It's given me some time on my hands
again, so I rummaged through my Scalescenes kits for a quick and easy project
to build while in the green room. I came up with the T019 Row of Cottages. It's
a quick and simple build, perfect for a weekend project.
I managed to ensconce myself back in the prep room,
adjacent to the green room. With copious amounts of coffee and biscuits, it's a
perfect place to hide away and build.
It all starts by cutting out all of the windows.
These will be stuck onto acetate once they are cut out.
Next the front and rear walls are cut out along with all
of the door and window openings.
The cover layers come next. I've opted for the
squared rubble option.
A small tip. Don't cut out the centre of the doors and
windows just yet. You will find it a lot easier to squarely fit the cover
layers over the base layers whilst they are still in one piece.
Once the cover layers are in place, cut out the centre of
the doors and windows and wrap them around the openings.
Fit the window sills, windows and doors in the
openings. And that's the exterior walls done.
Time to start on the interior walls next. These are cut
out the same as the exterior walls and glued together. Once completed, I found
it better to put the curtains in place at this stage.
The gable ends are next. The same as the main walls.
Exterior and interior together.
The chimney breasts and fire places are next.
Both downstairs and upstairs.
At this point, I was advised that Jak had been given an
early finish. So all play was stopped. Hopefully tomorrow I can start to bring
all of the walls together. I will try to get as far as I can, and let you see