Tuesday, 21 November 2017

Almost There.................

I’m almost there with the T030c Modern Cargo Ship from Scalescenes.

The Accommodation block and Bridge structure is next. It looks complicated but believe me it’s not. It’s made up of cleverly interlinked walls. This is not only exceptionally strong but, it also helps to keep the complete structure square and true.
The windows for the Accommodation block are not as you might think. They are just sticky tape over the window image. Simple.
Handy tip, I use a glass cutting mat. This doesn’t just keep the project nice and flat, but it also helps when trying to keep your project square. I put a couple of small drops of glue to fix it to the glass, and I then let the glue on the structure dry. This keeps it all true and square while drying.
Time to add the decks and some small detail, doors, fire hoses and life rings.
The Bridge is next, and would you believe that this took me, with all of it’s detail, fours hours! It even has a swivel chair.
Once all the Bridge is complete, it gets placed on the top of the accommodation block. It’s starting to look quite impressive. 
The funnel goes on next.
Now the life rafts, life boat and the Davit Crane for the life boat and the railings and mast to fit, and that’s the Bridge/Accommodation block done.
Nearly there now. One final push, and I should be done.

Until Next Time…………..



Thursday, 16 November 2017

It's Becoming Ship Shape...................

It’s all coming along at pace at the moment, with the T030c Modern Cargo Ship from Scalescenes. I’ve managed to get a great deal done, with having a week off work. 

The next stage to do was the hull sections. I was a little nervous with this hull, as all of the previous ships/boats that I’ve built have used light weight card stock (200gsm) for the hull sides, which forms to the base underneath really well, but this one has the hull made with 1mm card. Well worry not! As long as you take your time to gently coax the hull side with a pen, you can achieve the perfect form. And unlike the light weight card, you get a smoother finish.

Don’t worry, that gap at the bow, it’s supposed to be there.
Do the stern next, and do exactly the same as the bow. Take your time and gently coax. To relieve the stress on the stern section, it’s made up of two sections.
“Top tip” make sure you carefully sand down the joint between the two sections. It’ll give you a better finish when you apply the cover layer.
The mid ship sides are next.
Now you go around and cover all of the joints with the relevant cover layers.
Time now to add all of the Bulwarks around the ship. These give extra strength to the sides as well as finishing off the interior of the hull.
You can never have too many spring clamps at this stage.
The Bulwark for the hull is made up of three pieces, laminated together to achieve a slight permanent curve.
Now time for some fiddly detail. The breakwater, the winch, escape hatch, bollard bases and the anchor. 
The chain on the winch is made from a cheap costume necklace. I think I paid about £2, and there must be about three feet of chain. 
Once all of the fiddly bits are done, it’s time to fit all of the bulwark top edges. These cleverly cover the raw edges of the bulwark and hull.
Well that was a huge update for you, that’s where I’m at at the moment, almost a finished hull. The next stage is to construct the accommodation structure. 
Until Next Time............


Saturday, 11 November 2017

Cargo Ship Update Part 2..........

I’ve had a week off work this week so I’ve had loads of time to crack on with building this Scalescenes ship. If I thought I could get away with it, I think I would be up in the loft a lot more and I could get this ship done in a flash! But I suppose taking my time, and small sessions will make the build enjoyable, rather than a chore. Anyway, back to my progress.

The holds on the bow section are identical in construction to the stern section.

“Top tip” When needing to hold a piece in place until the glue sets, you can use a spring clamp. But when you can’t use a clamp, a small wedge cut from a scrap of card, will hold the gangway support perpendicular to the hold side until the glue dries. 

The next hold is a bit of a cheat. To gain some integral strength at the bow, the hold covers will be closed permanently so as not to see the strengthening structure within. The hold covers on this section is in one solid piece. At the same time, you can add the bow deck.
And with that, the bow section is at the same stage as the stern. Time to bring these two sections together for the first time. And as before, there is a great amount of surface area between the base and the hold ceiling, to achieve a good bond for the two sections.
And there you go. Time to clear the workbench so I can fit the complete hull on.
 Next it’s the hold lids. These are a simple box construction, a top, a bottom and four sides. Simple.
Well it would have been if I didn’t have another eleven to do!!
It’s at this stage it’s time to decide which way the build is going. The kit can be either a general bulk carrier, which would mean that the hold covers would be left off for now, and fixed into place once you decide how you want to display the ship, either with the covers open or closed. Or it can be a container carrier, which means the covers need to be fixed down at this stage. I’m opting for the latter, as I’ve already got a load of containers ready made for the ship.
Once all of the covers are fixed into place, the hold coaming gets fixed into place. 

The stern deck gets fixed into place now.

The hull is coming together quite well now. The next stage is to fix the hull sides into place. Now that will have to wait until the next post. 

Until Next Time............