Saturday 30 July 2016


I've decided to put the eight houses onto a diorama and not on the layout. So, without any delay, I'm going to build the next part. I intend to make Low Relief Terrace Backs. I will be building the T008 from Scalescenes, with the Out Building add on pack, as these will match the existing outbuildings I've already done. This will give me a "northern style" back to back look. I want to build these at a rapid pace, as I have loads of ideas going round my head, to what I want it to end  up looking like. So here goes.

This is a simple build. Walls and floors inter link and fix to the main back wall. So simple and sturdy.

Interior walls add substance and strength.

The complete kit gives you enough parts to make a row of six houses. I need to print another set out so that I can have ten houses. Good job it's buy once off of Scalescenes and print as many times as you need.

Until Next Time............

Tuesday 26 July 2016

Chimney Pots..........

As promised here is the way I make the chimney pots for my houses. First of all, if you’re brave, raid your good lady’s cosmetic bag and pinch what is called an orange stick.

These are used for manicuring apparently. If she doesn’t have any, and if you’re even braver, go to the cosmetic aisle in your local supermarket, you’ll find them there. Alternatively just go onto that popular auction site and buy them from there. That’s all I done, it saves all of the embarrassment and grief off my wife. They are really cheap. I got 100 of them for pennies over £2.
First of all, with a sharp craft knife cut off one of the ends so it is square. Next, with the same knife score a deep cut about 2mm from the end. Next about 3-4mm from the first cut, score a lighter cut. With a sharp detail knife, I use a Swann Morton knife, carefully cut from the second line up to the first cut and then work all around the stick.
Once you’ve shaped the pot, put a third cut about 2mm from the second and cut all the way through.
Once you’ve made enough just colour them with an alcohol marker or just paint them.
If you become confident with this technique, try and make some more ornate pots with extra cuts.
Until Next Time.............

Sunday 24 July 2016

Almost Done.............

Well the street of eight houses is almost done now. It is the T022a kit from Scalescenes. As you saw in my last post, I cut out all of the out building parts ready for them to be assembled. Once all of the parts were put together, they were put to one side while I cut out all of the front walls. I'm not too sure where this street of houses are going to call home. I don't think that is going to find it's way onto the layout, but I think that it may become a small diorama. If it does become a diorama, I think I'll make a street of the T008 Low Relief Houses, to make a "back to back" street scene.
I cut out a single piece of mount board to mount the street on. I layered the Scalescenes floor plans side by side, which also gives you the back yards as well. These back yards were a little clinically clean for my liking, so I used my air brush along with my markers to "dirty up" the back yard with a dirty green algae effect. Because I had incorporated the derelict gable end, I left a space for some waste land. Again using my airbrush, I made a base for some grass.
Here it is then.

I will do a quick post over the next couple of days, on how I made the chimney pots. They are really easy, cheap and effective.

Until Next Time............

Saturday 9 July 2016

Row Of Houses Update................

Just a quick update on the row of  eight houses from Scalescenes that I'm currently making. It has sat on my table for a few weeks now untouched. It's not that I have ran out of inspiration, it's that I've been too busy, what with work and the fact that I have a new bicycle that I've been promising myself for a year now. Anyhow, back to the houses. I've put the roofs on the backs of the houses and tiled them. And finished off with barge boards at the eaves.
Next it's the back walls and the out buildings. This took some considerable time as there were loads of repetitive cutting out and wrapping of covers layers.
This little lot once made up make the back walls and the outhouses.

Now I need to put on the coal house roofs the fit the to the rear of the houses.

Until next time.......