As promised I have put together the Low Relief House Backs from scalescenes. I have enjoyed building this kit, as it has had a few techniques that have been different to the previous house builds. I think, it may be just me, that they are getting easier as the kits roll out. I haven’t thought about where it is to be positioned at Wynyard Lane yet, but I think I may have to reconsider a few things and may be build a few more of these houses.
Anyhow here they are from the beginning……
Once the main sub-structure is put together, you can the start on the interior walls. These are not just decorative, but they also form the main support for the ceiling.
Next comes the exterior walls. But I had a bit of a problem.
I accidentally ripped one of the cover layers as I was peeling it off the backing paper. Sorry, for those of you that don’t know, I print out my images onto A4 adhesive labels, not paper. I find it a lot easier and quicker than gluing the sheets onto the board. As I was saying, I ripped the sheet, but rather than print out another sheet I coloured over the rip and said that the end house has got mining subsidence! As did a lot of these type of houses of this era.
This section actually has the downstairs interior wall already in place.
Once glued into place, along with the side wall, they help to bring the structure together and give it its strength.
The main walls come next. There is a lot more to this wall than meets the eye.
Not only do they form the front façade, they also build up to form a defined edge and a wrap for the chimney and, with the addition of a third layer, they also provide a prominent down pipe from the gutter.
At this point all three elements came together into one to form the six houses in the row.
Next is the addition of the ceilings, which also provides the outside guttering. Very clever!!
The roofs are basically the same as they are on the many off the scalescenes houses, very easy but effective. As long as you keep the strips in order, the will give the effect of weathering.
I made the mistake of tiling all of the roofs separate and off the main building, BUT, if I read the very simple and concise instructions, I would have realised that I should have put the blank roofs onto the buildings and then put on the tiles, as they are cut in specific lengths so you can place them staggered and this would have given a seamless finished complete set of roofs. Not like mine with visible joints. DOHH!!
Just the outside walls to put on now. I was going to put on outside walls that I built in my previous post but, there is a slight difference in depth on the ones that I built for the T022 Houses. So I built the right ones for the kit.
Well that’s the m done and dusted, and I must say I’m very pleased with the final result. Like I said at the start, it has a few new techniques and it was pleasure to build. I think I may have to build a few more once I decide where I will finally place them at Wynyard Lane.
I don’t know what I will be building next until I go trawling on the scalescenes site. I suppose I could shake my backside and get up in the loft. the only problem with that is during the summer it gets incredibly warm in the loft. When I built the loft room I foolishly omitted loft windows and now in hindsight they would have been great for ventilation. I suppose I could always retro fit a air conditioning unit (don’t tell the wife).
Until Next Time…………