Sunday 1 March 2015

Finished T036 School…………

So, I well and truly got my mojo back, and I can tell you I’m so pleased. Once I started on the T036 School from Scalescenes, I just couldn’t stop. I found it very hard to walk away from my craft table. It’s been a while since I’ve been that enthusiastic about making a model. It’s good to be back. So much so, that this one has been made in record time. As I said in the previous post, nearly all of the walls an structural elements are cut out and made ready in preparation for bringing the building together.

As always with Scalescenes, the attention is in the details. When putting the parts together, it isn’t always apparent where all of the flaps and cut outs go, but thankfully they all come together in the end.

IMG_1918      IMG_1920

IMG_1921      IMG_1922

Not only is there plenty of detail on the exterior, there is more than enough detail on the interior. Which I find incredible, seeing that nobody knows it’s there but me. Also at this stage, the very clever downpipes are put in place. They are not a very fragile piece of card but, they are an oversized width of the gable end, which when sandwiched between, make for a very sturdy and effective feature.

IMG_1924      IMG_1925

A very clever feature with this model,if not a bit fiddly for my sausage fingers, is they way that the join between the two edges of the brickwork for the chimney come together. The picture doesn’t do it justice. In real life it’s very hard to see the join.

IMG_1931      IMG_1933

Once all of the elements are cut, wrapped and made ready, it’s time to marry them all together.

IMG_1926

Now, here is where I have to apologise. I got well and truly carried away and forgot to take pictures of the coming together of the walls. A top tip for putting all of the walls together is, have a perfectly level surface to build up from and a small square to make sure everything is perpendicular. A small imperfection at this point will amplify and make it very hard at later stages. So make sure you start with a level surface. I like to use a glass cutting mat as I know that it’s perfectly flat and I know it will all come together correctly. I often get asked where I get my mat from and can you cut on it. It is a mat from a craft company called Tonic Studios and yes you can cut very well on it. I like it because of the gridlines on it. They make keeping everything square and true very easy.

IMG_1935

The roof comes next. And where would you start. Fortunately all of the hard work has been done for you by Scalescenes. This is where starting with a level surface and keeping everything square, really pays off. Even the underside of the roof is detailed.

IMG_1938      IMG_1939

IMG_1941      IMG_1942

Once all of the roofs are in place, it’s time for the details that I really like.

IMG_1944

I like to take the time to make sure that all of the visible edges are either covered or coloured in.

IMG_1947      IMG_1948

So, here it is in all of its glory. The finished article.

IMG_1958      IMG_1953

IMG_1961      IMG_1959

I have to say that I’ve really enjoyed making this model. I hadn’t realised just how much I enjoy putting these together. The big question is, what to build next? Watch this space.

Until Next Time…………..

Chris sig

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Excellent! What attention to detail inside & out! I love that Jak let's you play with her promarkers too! xx